DNA Structure and function

DNA Structure and function

What is DNA Structure?

DNA is the most well-known biological molecule, and it can be found in all kinds of life on the planet. But what exactly is DNA structure, often known as deoxyribonucleic acid? We’ll go through the basics here.

DNA, or the genetic information that makes you who you are, is found in almost every cell in your body. All life’s instructions for development, growth, reproduction, and function are encoded in DNA and can be determined with DNA tests. Genetic differences explain why some individuals have blue eyes instead of brown, why certain people are prone to diseases, why birds have just two wings, and why giraffes have long necks.

In this post, we’ll go over the basics of DNA, including what it’s comprised of and how it operates.

What exactly is DNA?

In a nutshell, DNA is a lengthy molecule that holds genetic information for everyone. It contains the instructions for constructing the proteins required for our bodies to operate. DNA information is handed down from parent to kid, with the father’s DNA accounting for around half of a child’s DNA and the mother for the other half, proved according to the many DNA clinics.

While genetic testing might help many people’s health and well-being, it can also make life more difficult for others. Some people may want assistance from psychologists and others after obtaining a favorable result to help them work through difficult decisions or any concerns they may be facing. For this purpose, most geneticists would collaborate with mental health practitioners experienced in assisting people in such situations.

DNA Structure

DNA is a two-stranded molecule with a twisted appearance, giving it the shape of a double helix. It consists of:

  • a molecule of phosphate
  • deoxyribose, a sugar molecule with five carbon atoms
  • a nitrogen-rich environment

Bases are four different kinds of nitrogen-containing regions:

  • guanine (G)
  • adenine (A)
  • thymine (T)
  • cytosine (C)

DNA Function

Most DNA is contained in cell nuclei, while some are found in mitochondria, which are the cells’ powerhouses. Because humans have so much DNA (2 meters per cell) and our nuclei are tiny, DNA must be carefully wrapped.

DNA strands are looped, coiled, and wrapped around histone proteins. It’s termed chromatin when it’s in this spiral shape. Through a process known as supercoiling, chromatin is further compacted and packed into structures known as chromosomes. The illustration above shows that these chromosomes create the iconic “X” shape. One DNA molecule is found on each chromosome. Humans have 46 chromosomes in total, divided into 23 pairs. Fruit flies have eight chromosomes, but pigeons have eight hundred.

What exactly is a Gene?

One gene, for example, codes for the protein insulin, a hormone that aids in the regulation of blood sugar levels. Although estimates vary, humans contain between 20,000 and 30,000 genes.

Our genes make up only around 3% of our DNA; the rest, 97 percent, is less well known. 

What is The Process Through Which DNA Generates Proteins?

Transcription: The DNA code is replicated (mRNA) to make messenger RNA. Although RNA is a duplicate of DNA, it is usually single-stranded. Another distinction is that RNA lacks the thymine (T) nucleotide, which is substituted with uracil (U).

Transfer RNA converts mRNA to amino acids during translation (tRNA). Codons are three-letter regions of mRNA that are read. Each codon specifies a specific amino acid or protein-building component. The amino acid valine, for example, is coded by the codon GUG.


They keep the chromosomal ends from becoming damaged or merging with other chromosomes. This protected zone gradually shrinks as we become older. The telomere shortens every time a cell divides, and DNA is copied.

In a nutshell, chromosomes are DNA strands that are tightly coiled. Genes are DNA segments that code for specific proteins. In other words, DNA is the blueprint for life on Earth and the source of the incredible diversity we witness.

Bottom Line

DNA analysis, also called DNA testing, involves collecting DNA from a sampling of your bloodstream to identify specific genomes, alleles, or peptides, even faulty ones (known as mutations). The test can help you figure out your genetic origins, validate or reject a heritable genetic sickness, assess your risk of acquiring or passing on a genetic problem, and pick the best drugs based on your DNA profile. Hundreds of 24-hour DNA testing are presently accessible, and many more are in the works. Blood, urine, saliva, bodily tissues, bone, and hair can all be used in the testing.